Apr 20, 2019  
2018-2019 Academic Catalogue 
2018-2019 Academic Catalogue

Elementary Education, B.A.

Return to {$returnto_text} Return to: Programs of Instruction

Kerry Bostwick, Jill Heinrich, Kate Kauper (chair), and Cindy Postler

Cornell College offers a major in Elementary Education and coursework for students seeking teaching certification in grades K-6, K-12, or 5-12. Students must apply to the Teacher Education Program for admission to any of the certification tracks. Applications are due December 1 or May 1 of the sophomore year or August 1 of their junior year. Students seeking admission to the Teacher Education Program in their junior year must have special permission from the chair of the Education Department.

The following conditions must be met before students will be considered for admission:

  1. File a Declaration of Major form with the Registrar (including certification track if applicable: K-12 or 5-12)
  2. Complete EDU 215 and at least one additional 200-level Education course (EDU 205, EDU 230, EDU 240)
  3. Have a cumulative GPA of 2.5 or higher by the admission deadline
  4. Have one positive reference from a faculty member outside the Education Department (submitted via online form by the recommending professor)
  5. Successfully complete the C-BASE or Praxis Core Pre-Professional Skills Test by the admission deadline.


Whether a candidate for the BA, B.Mus., or B.S.S. degree, every elementary education major must complete the following requirements (these courses can also be applied to the general education requirements).

A Minimum of 15 Course Credits in Education to Include

Student Teaching


*Admission to the Teacher Education Program is required before taking Core methods courses.

*A second major or the completion of six courses in one of the following endorsement areas is strongly recommended: reading, math, social studies (including history), science, or English.

If recommended by the Education Department, the completion of the Elementary Education major qualifies students for K-6 teaching certification in the State of Iowa. Students considering relocation to another state after graduation should check licensure requirements with the state’s Department of Education.

Return to {$returnto_text} Return to: Programs of Instruction